Friday, February 13, 2009

Hidden Children in Mountains

I just watched the 20/20 special on ABC on the children in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky. Having grown up in Virginia and attending college in southwestern Virginia and then teaching in the moutnains, I have seen some of the poverty that was shown. I have also seen it in the moutains of NC too. I think while it highlighted the poverty that it did not tell enough about the independence and goodness that exist in the many of th people in the hollows of the moutains. I have never found kinder, more giving, more appreciative people than I have in some of the mountain counties. There is a rugged, pioneer spirit that still exist. They do not rely on government unless all else fails. The saddest part to me is the way that the drugs have seeped in to the moutains...meth labs have replaced the old stills and are much more dangerous. The story could just as easily have been told in Tennessee, Va, NC, Georgia, West Va or part of Pa...they all struggle with many of the same issues. If there is any good that comes out of this it is that poor children do not just live in our inner cities but the need for HOPE AND HELP exist all across America.

No comments:

Post a Comment