Saturday, February 28, 2009

STIMULUS and more spending

Okay now the debate is raging.   Spend or not spend?  Invest in the present or invest in the future? Each day it seems that the only news we are getting is bad news or going the economy going from bad to worst.   SO what do we do.   I think the media has scared even those of us who could spend to hole up and buckle down.   This could be a very mixed message.  If those of us who can help propel the economy quit spending then who will fuel the economy back to life.

I guess all of us are asking what happened and how did it happen so fast?  We were assured that if we saved money, invested in retirement and did not outlive our wages that we would have a comfortable and secure life. But what happened?  Did the sins of few bring down the house?  It sure seems that way.  While there was no doubt greed and as my Daddy use to say far too many people trying to live like kings on a beer budget, what happened to those of us who did not live that way. Well it looks like many of "us" are going down the tubes along with the greedy, and personally irreponsible.  I know good hard working people who have lost their jobs because of this mess and then I know those who were living far beyond their means who are now in trouble...but how do we help the deserving and hold the irresponsible accountable?  I don't think we can so therefore we will bail everyone out...the good, the bad and the ugly.  Those of  us who are staying above water will pay as well or at least our grandkids will pay.

Maybe we have all lived in fantasy land for too long and this is a wake  up call for all of us but what a shock.  As I watch my 403 (B) turn in to a 203 (B) I just pray that I can retire by the time I am 75!!  Not my plan but Lord give me my health so I can work forever!  Good thing I love what I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment